Tuesday, January 20, 2009

ASL name sign for the new President, Barack Obama

As you all know, in the past couple weeks I have been fully involved in learning ASL, and becoming a part of the deaf community. I even find myself signing when there is no reason to be doing so, and no one understands me anyway(you gotta practice sometime). Well today, upon the inauguration of the new president my ASL class was taught President Obama's name sign that will be generally accepted by the deaf community. When you become a part of the deaf community you are given a name sign that describes who you are, and allows a much simpler way to say your name. Mine for example is extending your pinkie and touching it to your left shoulder and then to your right shoulder. This is based on the sign for Cleveland,a reference to where I was born and raised, which is the same motion only with the 'C' hand shape instead of the 'J'. So when introducing myself I would sign "Hi, My name is Julie or (insert name sign). This is helpful because from now on, whenever someone wants to refer to me, instead of having to spell out my name every time(which can be tiring and confusing), they just make my name sign.
Well anyway, President Obama is pretty popular with the deaf community so they honored him with his very own name sign. I think the explanation is very cool.



(Don't worry, there are captions for the signing impaired)

2 comments:

rosa said...

That is so cool! I want a name sign!

Cecilia Parma said...

I can show you MY sign for Obama! lol... I'm totally kidding. This is cool - I'm going to practice with the deaf lady at work. Very nice.